Temple Emanu-El of Westfield, NJ
Communications and Membership Manager
Temple Emanu-El, founded in 1950, is one of the largest Reform congregations in New Jersey with approximately 1,050 family units. We are looking for a highly motivated, detail-oriented, team player to be our Communications and Membership Manager. This person will help develop and implement an innovative communications and audience development program to continue building upon the existing structure.
Under the supervision of, and working closely with, our Executive Director, the Communications and Membership Manager will be responsible for communicating Temple Emanu-El’s mission and helping to share our narrative using traditional and social media outlets with the goals of retaining members, increasing activity amongst current members, and attracting new members.
This full-time position is responsible for managing member communications such as email, newsletters and social media postings. Position also includes recruiting and retaining Temple Emanu-El members, performing a variety of skilled duties directly related to volunteer management, and the overall administrative functioning of the synagogue as it related Membership engagement and retention.
This position is an integral part of the synagogue’s senior professional staff and is responsible for creating and implementing a membership and communication strategy in support of our warm and welcoming culture, worship opportunities, educational offerings, programming, fundraising strategies and our overall mission in order to engage current and future congregants, stimulate program attendance, and increase membership engagement.
This person would have a primary responsibility to set and guide the strategy for all communications, including all written and digital marketing material. S/he would be responsible for all congregational communications and would work closely with the Executive Director and all arms of the synagogue as the communication partner on a variety of strategic initiatives with a heavy focus on member retention and new member outreach. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization with goal to advance the organization’s position with congregants and in the broader community.
Manager will be responsible for developing strategies for both in- and out-reach. Manager will ensure that members and prospective members are informed about synagogue programs, initiatives and news, and that Temple Emanu-El has a consistent and polished digital and print presence.
- Develop an annual integrated communications plan and maintain marketing calendars – determining schedules and deadlines, in consultation with the Executive Director.
- Develop all written and digital communications material with the purpose of engaging congregants and attracting new ones. Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic publications.
- Prepare and send weekly e-Blasts (email) and bi-monthly bulletins. Communicate with staff and members to collect programming information for publicity.
- Update the website on a continuous basis. Plan/create/edit content for website.
- Provide content for Facebook page and other social media. Develop and manage a social media strategy and all aspects of our use of it.
- Create all relevant fliers and signage.
- Work across program initiatives and use appropriate media to help create targeted, innovative strategies and campaigns that inspire engagement opportunities, membership recruitment, school enrollment and support fundraising efforts.
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop press releases and to help develop the communications aspects of fundraising appeals.
- Help ensure that the communication efforts are coordinated, consistent, high quality and engaging. Establish and enforce policies to ensure a clear, consistent and powerful messaging.
- Utilize web analytics to review the performance of our website, emails and social media.
- Establish and maintain appropriate network of professional contacts such as a media representatives, community leaders, and other professional contacts.
- Maintain/administer accounts for email marketing, online forms, event registration, and Temple Emanu-El’s website. Ensure access to accounts for authorized personnel. Stay informed of new features and apps.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Executive Director or Senior Rabbi in consultation with the Vice President of Membership and Communications.
Membership Management Responsibilities:
- Work with lay leadership to create a culture of welcoming and congregant integration. Interface with congregants, support the integration (on-boarding) of new members and oversee member communications.
- Responsible for leading the membership process from initial inquiry, to actual membership, to facilitating new member connections and positive volunteer experiences.
- Create and provide administrative support for member related events.
- Provide logistical support to our the Executive Director, Senior Rabbi and Vice President of Membership and Communications.
- Initiate new and maintain and strengthen existing methods to identify and recruit prospective members
- Identify and follow up with prospective members and convert prospects in a timely manner
- Manage database of prospective and new members to track progress and develop relationships
- Create a first year integration process; plan and execute programs for integrating new members into the community
- Meet with new members and help them find their meaningful connection to TEE.
- Maintain contact with new members after they join to ensure their needs are being met
- Ensure that new members are connected to appropriate staff and clergy and have the best possible level of support for a satisfying integration experience
- Conduct exit interviews for congregants who resign
- Create a post B’Nai Mitzvah year retention process
- Establish personal contact with disengaged members to evaluate their interests and help them find their niche
- Work with lay leaders to create, plan, and implement programs to increase volunteer participation
- Maintain, update, and report on member demographics, statistics, and trends
- Maintain and update membership information in membership database (Chaverware), to include developing and maintaining a membership inventory of professional skills
- Provide metrics of TEE’s Membership related initiatives to the Board of Trustees and produce suitable informative reports for these meetings.
- Perform other duties assigned by Executive Director or Senior Rabbi
Reporting & Working Relationships:
The Communications and Membership Manager is supervised by the Senior Rabbi and Executive Director. In addition, s/he works in partnership with the Vice President of Membership and Communications.
Competencies to perform the job successfully:
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communications
- Experience with website editing platforms, including Joomla. Knowledge of media trends and strategies.
- Proficiency and high comfort level with Microsoft Office Suite required; familiarity with social media (Facebook and Twitter primarily); website maintenance experience; familiarity with a variety of software tools; proficiency with Adobe InDesign a plus. Ability to learn new software and internet-based applications quickly and integrate into office use.
- Experience coordinating, producing, and/or filming videos and posting them on websites and social media.
- Detail oriented, focused and flexible. Self-starter with high level of creativity and initiative. Ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of Jewish culture and religious traditions
• At least three years of relevant work experience
• Bachelor’s degree
Salary commensurate with experience and comprehensive benefit package including health benefits, pension and PTO (paid time off).